Aug 16, 2011

Fitness Report

It's been quite some time since I've updated you on my fitness progress. Here's the latest:

  • By the end of 2010, I made it to my goal of getting under 265 lbs. Actually, I made it to 255, coming to an overall total of 70 lbs lost. But the question was whether or not I could maintain it.
  • I began 2011 with the goal of staying in the 255-260 range without counting calories. After 3 months, I needed another challenge.
  • The next goal was to complete a 5K. That's something I never thought I'd do. In fact, I could not imagine why anyone would WANT to do it. But on March 23rd, I met my goal...walking the race in just under 43 minutes (thanks to a little help from some friends...thanks Derek and Chris)!
  • I started wondering if I could ever run a 5K. I came across the "Couch to 5K Plan" and started working little by little. After about 15 weeks, I am now able to run 3 miles in 30 minutes!

So what's next on list?

  • On Saturday, September 24, 2011, I plan to run my first official 5K race. It's scheduled for the "Rails to Trails" in Shippensburg...one of my favorite courses. My goal is to finish, but I wouldn't mind doing it in around 30 minutes.
  • I'm also going back to intentional calorie counting. When I turned 40, I weighed 326 lbs. By the time I turn 45 (in July 2012), I would like to have lost a total of 100 lbs. That would get me to 225 and propel me towards another future possible goal.
  • A month or so ago, I learned that a friend had completed his first "Sprint Triathlon". I never heard of one of those, so I did some research, and am starting to seriously consider the possibility.

That's the latest on my fitness journey. I'll let you know how things go as I move forward.

2 comments:

Brian said...

Jim, that's great. Wish I had the same discipline. You are, and always have been, an inspiration to me. Let Janet know that Linda is finishing up her coursework for Elem Ed degree and student teaches in January here in AR. I'm so proud of her. Keep in touch.

Jim Bolich said...

Thanks, Brian!