Feb 25, 2009

Don't Argue, Go!

It's been a little while since I've written about my devotional times. You remember what that means, right?

This morning, I was reading Acts 9. It's the story of Paul's "enlightenment" on the road to Damascus. But it wasn't God's conversation with Paul that struck me. It was His conversation with Ananias that got my attention.

God gave Ananias clear and simple instructions. "Get up and go over to Straight Avenue. Ask at the house of Judas for a man from Tarsus. His name is Saul. He's there praying. He has just had a dream in which he saw a man named Ananias enter the house and lay hands on him so he could see again."

That sounded like craziness to Ananias. So he did what most of us would do. Ananias protested, "Master, you can't be serious. Everybody's talking about this man and the terrible things he's been doing, his reign of terror against your people in Jerusalem! And now he's shown up here with papers from the Chief Priest that give him license to do the same to us."

I can relate with Ananias. There are times in my life when what God wants me to do and what I want to do are two very different things. Times when I protest God's clear directions. It's in those moments I need to remember how God responded to Ananias.

"Don't argue. Go!"

God, grant me the grace to go instead of arguing. Amen.

No comments: