Jul 22, 2008

Flashback

Last Thursday, I experienced a flashback to my childhood.

Our family was spending the morning exploring Fort McHenry. Why? Because I love history, and I'm doing everything I can to try to pass that love on to my children.

We began the day in the visitor center where we watched the introductory movie. It's a 15 minute film that tells the story of the fort and concludes with a singing of the national anthem while a curtain opens to reveal a great view of the fort.

The fort also offers a "Junior Ranger" program that includes a worksheet to fill out as you walk through the fort. Of course, I signed the kids up.

About 2 hours into our visit, we were walking along the wall of the fort. That's when it hit me. I flashed back to my visit with my family when I was growing up. I remembered that after the movie, I was ready to go. And I didn't have a worksheet to fill out.

That's when I became amazed by my kids, and my fantastic wife. These three troopers endured hours of hot, humid weather to humor me. I have a great family!

1 comment:

Pat said...

I agree - you DO have a great family!