Jan 7, 2013

Using Ministry to Build People

In my last post, I shared the best ministry advice I've ever received: "Ministry is all about people." An implication of that statement concerns how the ministries of the church are used.

One approach begins with the ministries that a church believes it needs to build the church. The challenge is then to find the people necessary to fill ministry positions. The problem with this approach is that it uses people to build ministry.

I prefer a different process. I prefer to start with people, finding ministries to enable them to develop their talents, gifts and passions. Simply put, I prefer to use ministry to build people.

Your thoughts?

1 comment:

jacqueline said...

Everything, with the exception of God Himself, is secondary to the people. Ministries that give opportunity for the people to live out their potential, fully and with great joy, for Him, defines His Church. All else is man's attempt at helping God. He doesn't need our help, He needs people ALIVE in His Spirit to be "a light in the darkness." Just heard that recently, somewhere. :) In other words, I AGREE.