Apr 14, 2010

My Journey 4.14.10

As I was reading the Bible today, I came across a passage that I've read before, but that hadn't struck me quite like it did today.

To set the context a bit, Saul had been commanded by God to completely destroy the Amalekites and all their possessions. Saul did most of that. He preserved the King's life and his men preserved the best livestock and loot. Then, he tried to tell Samuel that the reason they did that was so that they could sacrifice them to the Lord.
Samuel replied: "Does the LORD delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the voice of the LORD ? To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams. (1 Samuel 15:22)
It's so easy to make excuses with God... to allow ourselves to believe that if we just do enough good things, then it will make up for our sins. Thanks, God, for the reminder that what you really want is for me to listen to your voice!

No comments: