Mar 24, 2010

Facebook Fast

For the second consecutive year, I'm fasting from Facebook during the season of Lent. Every time I feel the tug to log on, it reminds me that my priority relationship is with the God who created me, who loves me, and who has a great purpose for my life.

Last year, I missed my time on Facebook a lot, and couldn't wait until Easter Day. But this year, I'm having a different experience. I don't miss it nearly as much. And as Easter Day approaches, I'm thinking through the role Facebook plays in my life.

On one hand, it gives me opportunity to connect with people I might otherwise not. But, on the other hand, I've noticed a disturbing pattern develop in my life. I have become far more a servant to Facebook than it is to me. And that has to change.

I know I want to remain connected to the online community and available to those who use this social media tool. I'm just not sure of the boundaries I will set to keep myself from sliding back into the role of servant.

Easter Day is coming. I guess I better figure those boundaries out soon!

No comments: